Did you know that every 40 seconds businesses are getting attacked by ransomware? Think about it. Statistically, every 40 seconds another company is being infected by ransomware. Ransomware is a type of malicious software designed to block access to a computer system until a sum of money is paid. Half of hacking and malware attacks target small to medium sized businesses. It not only affects businesses, but it affects people at home as well.
Here are some important things you can do in order to protect your computers at home or work.
- Do not pay the ransom. It only encourages and funds these attacks. There is no guarantee that you will regain access to your files.
- Limit who has access to your computers and network. Do not plug in external drives unless they have been checked.
- Do not provide personal information when answering emails, text messages, or unsolicited phone calls. With businesses, make sure to contact your IT department if you or your coworkers are receiving suspicious calls or emails.
- Use reputable antivirus software and a firewall. Keep these up to date and make sure to keep all other software up to date.
- Try to employ content scanning and filtering on your mail servers. This will help prevent any attachments or emails that can pose a threat.
- If traveling, make sure to use a trustworthy Virtual Private Network (VPN) when accessing public Wi-Fi. A VPN will secure your internet connection on Wi-Fi and protect your data.
- If you do not already have it, consider getting cyber insurance. This is very important because you want to make sure you are protected in case something does happen to your system and data. Cyber insurance protects YOU against financial loss and a damaged reputation.
We here at the Whims Agency hope that you will have a cyber-safe year! If you have any questions in regards to cyber insurance, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us at [email protected] or toll-free at 1-833-256-7177.